Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Mother's Day

A somewhat belated entry, but here is the story booklet that Tigana put together for her Mom. I find it quite exciting to see the emergence of narrative structure in Tigana's story telling, and her ability to step back and to recognize that Mother's Day is as much about her sister as about her.


Tigana put several hours into this project, which for her is an unusually sustained effort. Mary had hoped that Tigana would give her a particular one of Tigana's recent paintings to frame for her office, and I tried to lead Tigana in that direction, but she would have none of it. She pointed out several minor imperfections in the painting and complained that the rendered the picture unsuitable for a Mother's day present. "It has to be something I really put effort into, and I just did that picture fast. I want Mom to know how important she is to me, so I have to put real effort into her present, not just frame a picture that's lying around!" I was sort of impressed, though I still plan to get the picture framed at some point -- I think I have talked her into it being okay to put up, even if it is not perfect.

No comments: