Sunday, November 18, 2007

Day 18

Smooth sailing today, with 2460 words and two complete scenes, in spite of only having a couple of hours to write.

On the other hand, I have now reached the part of the outline where I introduce the fourth character. It was only as I was writing the scene and settling some of the details in my own mind for description, that I remembered that this aspect of the novel had occured to me as a result of listening to a talk by Sean Stewart on why nobody could write this type of character into an SF novel. So I had one of those, "Hey, I wonder if I could do that" reactions, and some elements of the story line did work better by adopting that motif. But, um, I may have overlooked the part where Sean listed the 27 reasons why almost no author could make it work. And now I'm into it, um, yikes! Talk about presumption! And I thought I'd chosen this novel, out of the dozen outlines I have lying about, because it was the most straight-forward action space opera narrative with no redeeming values or literary merits to get in the way of output. What was I thinking?

Oh well, might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. Or something like that.

No comments: