Saturday, November 03, 2007

Day 3

Not much luck at finding time to write, it being a weekend and the kids underfoot. So, grabbed a few minutes whenever I could to look through some of my existing novel / short story outlines, to see if there was anything worth recycling. Had I thought of doing the National novel writing month thing before, I would have sorted through all that ahead of time and been ready to go with something, but it was only mentioned to me the last couple of days of October, and it was only Nov.1 I decided to go for it. So I just started writing the short story that was currently in my head. That should be good for at least one more session, but then I will have to start working on an actual novel or at least some other stories.

Looking through the files, I was distressed to find my most developed novel so far is missing. I'll have to see if I can track down a hard copy out in the garage somewhere. But there are still five or six others that I have in more or less complete outline form, so will have to choose which to go with for the rest of the month. I was a bit shocked to see that some of these outlines are dated from the 1970s or earlier. I know that one of my novels I actually started back in junior high and have been thinking about off and on for the last 40 years. Not sure that is the one I would go with, even if I could find the scribblers full of grade 9 notes (that was pre computers afterall, so no chance of that being in the computer files) but I do have a certain fondness for it, and it is odd how my hero in that book all those years ago was the age that I am now....

Spent half hour this evening rereading and revising short story so far...probably bad idea in terms of hitting 50,000 word quota by end of the month, but will help get momentum up for writing the next two scenes which are less developed in my head than what I've already got down. I went to see if my revisions had actually reduced my word count, but the NaNoWriMo is down just now.

No comments: